FoSTaC Food Safety Training & Certification
In order to support the people involved in food businesses, employees and vendors, FSSAI had initiated the largest Food Safety Training & Certification programme (FoSTaC) in July, 2017. The FoSTaC programme is aimed at creating a pool of food safety supervisors (FSS), who are trained in good hygiene and manufacturing practices to work in line with the Schedule 4 of Food Safety and Standards Licensing and Registration Regulations, 2011.
QualificationFoSTaC Food Safety Training & Certification
DurationAwareness course - 4 hours
Basic course – 4 hours
Advanced course – 8 / 12 hours
Training ModeFace to face
BoardFood Safety Training & Certification programme (FoSTaC)
LevelBasic & Advanced
Exam Type- Awareness course – Objective Type Assessment
- Basic course – Objective Type Assessment
- Advanced course – 30 minutes competency-based assessment which includes written examination along with continuous evaluation of the interaction/contribution/presentations during sessions.
For queries, & Assistance
Food Safety Standards
Food is the essential and basic need of living being. Largest countries like India, where in agriculture contributes approximately 12-14% of country’s GDP Food safety standards must be adhered. Though the food quality & standards are part of the country’s culture, the modernized world require standards to be followed.
The Government of India formed a statutory body ‘FSSAI – Food Safety Standards and Authorities of India’ under Ministry of Health and Family welfare to emphasize the importance of food safety & standards from farm to folk.
FoSTaC empaneled training partners, trainers, and assessors across India with set standards, who follow good practices and to train people from different segment to deliver around 25 courses which would be beneficial for various type of people.
FoSTaC categorizes the courses as Awareness, Basic and Advanced & special for catering, manufacturing, retail & distribution, storage, and transportation. The special focus is given for manufacturing segment like milk and milk products, Animal meat and meat products, Poultry meat and meat products, fish and fish products, packaged water and water-based beverages, bakery, edible oil & fat, health supplement and nutraceuticals, alcoholic beverages, and organic food products.
Since 01st April 2023, online course must not be conducted across all training partners
Levels of FoSTaC Courses
Awareness courses are conducted for 4 hours
Basic courses in Catering, Retail, Manufacturing and Storage & Transportation are conducted for 4 hours
Advanced courses in Catering, Retail, manufacturing and Storage & Transportation are conducted for 8 hours however, special courses are conducted for 12 hours.Who can pursue FoSTaC Courses?
- Students/ other individuals' intending to enter the Food Business
- Food Handlers/ Supervisors or other individuals employed in Food Business
Benefits of pursuing FoSTaC Courses
- Increase the number of qualified workers available in the food safety sector
- Certified Food Safety Supervisors can ensure that Schedule 4 standards of the FSS Regulations are better implemented in food enterprises, which decreases FBO non-compliance during regulatory inspections and streamlines operations during pre-audits and audits.
- Having a certified food safety supervisor will enable businesses to self-comply with FSSAI's schedule 4 regulations and lessen the burden of legal action, grievances, and complaints brought forth by customers, government regulators, and the Food Authority.
- Build consumer trust in food safety and maintain cleanliness in the establishments housing their food businesses, both of which have an impact on those businesses' profitability.